“European Use of Full-Immersion, Culture, Content, Service approach for Language Learning” – EUFICCS is a project funded by the Key Activity 2 – Languages in the framework of the European Union’s Lifelong Learning Programme and will be implemented for three years (November 2011 – October 2014).
EUFICCS aims at enhancing the motivation and capacity of language learners to study a foreign language in the country where it is spoken as mother tongue with the use of an innovative common methodology that will be elaborated during the project and applied to the learning of Italian, Spanish and Portuguese as second languages by students, interns, workers and other young people or adults going to Italy, Spain and Portugal for a study, training or working experience.
The new methodology is based on 4 dimensions:
- Full Immersion in the host country context 24 hours a day, from academic to economic and social life.
- Culture through life in host families, foreign language and academic courses, excursions organized in learners’ spare time.
- Content, through academic courses on different dimensions of the host society.
- Service in education and social services of the host countries
These 4 dimensions are cross-cut by a fifth dimension: the practice of Reflection, that permits learners to develop an innovative reflective intercultural competence acquired through a structured and guided process of reflection that implies a learner’s conscious (re)elaboration of intercultural experiences, facilitating his/her full involvement in the host society as an aware social actor of the host reality.
- Developing and experimenting study courses and materials based on the EUFICCS common methodology to provide EU teachers with new instruments for language and culture teaching and permit students to develop more competences simultaneously: from the tightly linguistic one, to the social, intercultural and reflective ones;
- Setting a matrix of basic elements of the EUFICCS methodology to make it possible its transfer, with the necessary adaptations of contents, to other European languages taught as second foreign languages
- Creating a network of language learning providers capable to use the common methodology for teaching the second language and to adopt it in their countries (i.e. Language Centres teaching the national language as foreign language to Erasmus students, VET institutions hosting Leonardo da Vinci beneficiaries, centres for adult education participating in Grudtvig mobility actions etc..).